Hailey Ann was born on Wednesday May 13th, at 11:28 am. She weighs 6lbs 4oz and is healthy and beautiful. Tim and I were able to be present for the labor and delivery. Well Tim stood outside until the pushing was done then came in to cut the umbilical cord. It was the most amazing day! The call came at 5:16 am from Steph saying that it was time. I was up and ready in no time and the emotions started to hit. I cried only once when dropping off Diva at a friends house. I think scared is not even close to what I was feeling. More like petrified. The thought started rushing in on me. What if today we get our hearts broken, what if today is the end of the journey but it ends without a baby....
Once we seen Steph at around 7am and she welcomed us in the room with a smile the excitement began. We were going to be parents!
Steph had an easy labor after she got to the hospital. It is amazing what modern medicine can do. She pushed for only 40 minutes and our baby Hailey was born.
The next 48 hours were hard. We left the hospital and went to our hotel room to call all the family and tell them of her arrival and take a nap. We knew that the days of sleeping through the night might just be over!
We txted Steph at around 7pm to check in and she invited us back to see Hailey one last time before visiting hours were over. It was so exciting to go back to see her. I can say that in the delivery room when I held her she didn't feel like mine. I was afraid to let my heart go. When we got invited back to see her again that day and I realized that Steph was happy and content with her decision I officially gave my heart to Hailey. To hold her and know that she would come home with us in a couple days was God's most precious gift to us.
On Friday May 15th we went back to Milwaukee after spending our last night at our house with out a baby. It was weird to roll over and tell Tim that this would be the best night of sleep I would have in a long time and be so excited about it.
We woke up on Friday ready to go get our bundle of joy. We arrived at 9am at the hospital and spend the next couple hours with Steph and her mom. Talking about Steph's plans for college and what she had coming up this summer, graduation, college placement tests etc. It was great to see her planning for a future of a normal teenage girl. We could see her strength in those few hours and knew that this day would end in complete joy.
We went to lunch at 11am and gave Steph and her mom time to say their last good bye's to Hailey. That was the longest two hours of our lives. The wait was killing us.
At 12:45 we received a text that say "We are ready". It was now time to go get our baby girl. Up to this point there were not tears from anyone. Just joy and talk of our futures. Our future with Hailey and Steph's future as a regular college bound girl.
When we walked into the room to get Hailey is when we realized the hurt they felt and the love they had for Hailey. Hailey was being held by Steph's dad and Steph and her mom were standing around them. They all had tears rolling down their faces and it was the picture of pure love. They whispered their last words to Hailey, kissed her and laid her down. Tim and I were silent in the corner of the room holding back the tears, knowing their pain in loosing a loved one. We hugged Steph and her parents goodbye, giving words of encouragement. We told them we would take care of her and that they could call anytime. As they walked out of the room and we walked over to our baby the emotions hit us both. Tim and I stood and cried over our new baby girl. Here she was, our baby girl to take home and have forever. God blessed us on this day with the greatest gift of all love.
The first few days at home have been busy, lots and lots of company. Hailey has been a trooper. She eats, sleeps and poos and that is about it. She cries when hunger or gassy but that is not very often. We have taken over 200 pictures of her since we got home and have enjoyed holding her and watching her sleep. We know that she is now our world. It doesn't get better than this.
God Bless,
Kristy & Tim Lamers
No comments:
Post a Comment